Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Linux - defining "It works"

 The essence of winning a debate is to jig the semantics.  This is done all the time in the influencer world.  I define 'It works for Linux' as 'perfectly, now and for always'.  The sellers define it as 'sort of works', 'may work', etc.

This is the case for all the latest gpu drivers and wifi cards.  They come out with something like wifi6, and people come out with the chips.  Realtek and Intel encrypt their drivers, and they have to be labouriously decrypted and re-engineered.  Intel is better because of a lot of people work on it.

After a year, my mini-pc with an Intel wifi card finally 'really works' with my Nest Pro Wifi6.  I was only getting 20mb/s and yesterday it was 200.  In the meantime, I thought I could get around it by buying an external wifi card.  These mini-pc's don't don't even have ethernet ports, but an adapter for the usb worked out of the box.  

Yeah!  However, I ended up buying and returning 2 wifi adapters that didn't state they used Realtek and custom hacked drivers.  You can't live with those, because you can't compile a new kernel.  Blah.  Ammie might be mad at me, but I blasted the web description.  The custom driver is on Github, and changes all the time, with a lot of complaints.  Github goes into a huge diatribe on how you should only use kernel drivers.

Now that Intel wifi works, after thousands of person-hours, life is golden.  The big problem was that the latest wifi6 chips have encrypted drivers for MS.  Chips with open drivers are not the latest.  It is always a year behind for Linux, and that's why gaming sucks, as well.  Not going to get the latest fridge-size graphics card working on Linux.

I loved the open Google games, but the gaming world is on proprietary steroids.  Every tiny advantage gets you more money.  Blah.



No comments: