Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Linux -- Use hdparm to rank your disks

If you are starting to store 4k legal videos of your dog, you really need to clean up your network and disks.  I just found that using the new cat7 cables increases speed by 3 times.  And the cables are super thin and cheap.  I guess that is an advantage of the tighter weave.

But your disks are now the slow-moes.  I ran 'hdparm -tT /dev/sda-b-c' on the various disks and was surprised to find one really slow one, which I thought was good.  It was about 1/4 speed of the other disks.  So, only put the old dog videos on that one.

The fastest disk gets the 4K dog videos.  Always use a socks5 proxy when you want to share your legal dog videos on bittorrent.  I use ipvanish, and it's quite fast.  I also use Deluge, with the proper proxy setting.  Always download a dog video torrent that has been generally approved.  I found that new privacy exploits come out all the time, and you can be surprised by a nasty dog-hater letter.  :)






No comments: