Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Flush of Hotwater Tank

My longest running thread is over at the Livclean Department. It's been going on forever! One thing I did learn is that you should flush a new hotwater tank regularly, perhaps Spring and Fall, or more often if you are neurotic. You'll see a nice brown sludge coming out.

Now, if your tank is over 10 years old and never been flushed, I'm not saying to touch it! It is a ticking time bomb ready to explode, and if you flush it -- KABOOM! (maybe). I just don't want all the whiners coming back and saying: "Mr. Fish, you blew up my tank!".

I'm surprised how many people do not make provision for the tank cracking. I've had two crack on me, and luckily I have a direct drain. Somebody I know had all the finished basement ruined. And the same goes for washing machine hoses! Never--ever use the black rubber crap that may come with a new machine. Go high-end on this, trust me!

1 comment:

Silver Fox said...

I don't think I'll flush mine. I'm not even sure how old it is. Fortunately it would mostly drain directly under the house, or even outside the house depending on what happened. Hopefully nothing will happen!

I hate winterizing issues when living in two places. Hate, hate, hate...

(I might be going a little nuts, sorry.)