Monday, March 9, 2009

Niagara Tunnel Slowing Down

Reference

I just couldn't imagine it going any slower without getting stuck. Sure, every day it's getting hit with 30 ton blocks of rock that have to be busted up, but 5 m per day!

We will have to say that the biggest struggle right now is to get the machine out alive. If I see it slow down any more, I will have my doubts for its life.

What has happened in the past with rock squeeze, is that the boring machine advances too slow to keep ahead of the time-dependent creep of the rock. If, for example, they just took a holiday, the rock would totally move in, freeze all parts, and wreck the machine. Then they would have to cut it up, and bring it out the way it came in. They are following the script right now, so I give it a 50-50 chance.

No comments: