Saturday, December 3, 2022

Scam phone calls are very intense right now

 I have Ooma ip phone service, so I can block calls, and there is a common service of blocked calls.  Then, there was the minor crackdown on spam calls.  Now, it's all blown open and I'm getting a lot of calls.



The idea of blocking was that it would be expensive to keep getting new phone numbers for the scammers.  For some reason, they now have access to an infinite number of numbers.  A lot are from Rogers, which is probably desperate by now.  They decorate their phone calls with locations of random cities around the world.

Time to go to the nuclear option of only accepting calls from my contact list.  


3 comments:

Neil T said...

I'm shocked! You use a phone as a phone? I've no mobile signal, so I've got starlink running off solar and use whatsapp, telegram, teams etc for calls. When I do get a signal i only get spam sms and calls anyway so i never make or receive calls the old fashioned way. As i say, I'm shocked!

Harold Asmis said...

In my defence, I have an Ooma ip setup on direct fiber to the home. Try that in the boonies! I keep the old phone number open, because I have relatives who still try to call us. Now I have set that all phone calls not on my list go to voicemail. The telemarketer scum almost never leave a message. That would be evidence. You may have noticed that I am not a gabber, and nobody talks to me.

Wayne said...

I believe they just work their way through the numbers from xxx-0000 to xxx-9999 so no need for a list. They keep track of ones that answer or go to message.

My favourite response to the ones i do answer is “Does your mother know what you do for a living?” Makes them hang up very fast.