Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Restore NiMH rechargeable batteries

 This is becoming a new thing for me.  Everything has so many safety features in them, that it is interfering with actually working.  The new class of rechargeable batteries may have a safety lock, who knows?  All I know that if I put them into an led candle and let them run out, then some may not come back to life.

These were brand-new ammie batteries.  I put them in my fancy charger, and it just blinks, saying 'Yo, man, I'm not charging these!'.  Time to reset them!

The secret is to zap a one second blast at 12V, high amp.  That's more difficult than it seems since, every 12V charger has a million safety things in it.  Thank goodness, we have a design that goes back to the 30's, before all this safety crap -- that's a car battery.


We did this and melted the gun.  Man, was it worth it!  Do the same thing for the batteries.  I have a small 12 battery for emergencies.  You just touch the contacts for a slow one thousand, then they work.  Pos, neg, all that crap.  Don't cry to me if you put the clips in your mouth for tiktok challenge.

They work at least once, which is better than the garbage.  They may work perfectly for a long time, I'm not selling anything here.  Use at your own risk.

ps. the physics is that the new batteries have a fuse, or that they have no protection from being totally dried out.  If the charger can't detect a speck of voltage, then they are bad, or some such thing.

pps.  this blew out one of my oldest batteries that probably had a short.  It got quite hot, so remember only a short blast.


No comments: