Wednesday, October 7, 2026

The Road to Earthquake Mitigation

 For the big earthquake, it is good that everybody left town.  There is no dealing with that.  However, Toronto should ride out an M5 along that fault with no damage.  I might actually live to see that.

If you accept the physics, then there are things that can be done.  I like this section because it is all 'politically unacceptable' stuff.  As I have said before, Canada should go all in on the Scientific Method and physics, but the recent elections show that isn't going to happen.  

The new 'Emergency Response' building is right in the worst spot, on the worst soil.  Could we have done better?  It is probably built with floopy engineering, like everything else.  I would like to see some hardened facilities.  Humber River Hospital has floors that are warping.  Is that being hardened?

For the first time I see that ramps to bridges are using foam as the support instead of dirt.  This is great.  We'll have some bridges survive, but no ramps to them without this new engineering.

All our new condos can't fly through an M5.  They are soft-storey with 'house of cards' walls for extra parking space.  Every one will need to be evacuated.  

Pickering Nuclear power station should not be 'refurbished', yet it will be.  Wonderful.

Everybody on hard ground will have no damage for an M5.  That is defined by whether you can sink a post hole manually.  Forget some of the really old areas in Toronto, those houses are falling down by themselves, and there's no mortar in the chimneys.

If you are a house owner, mortar your dang chimney!  All the bricks will fall on your fancy bmw.

Okay, I am finished with earthquakes, until the next one.

No comments: