You can search this article, it is quite detailed. In my memoirs, which don't exist, I go through all my work for this station. It is neat that they are putting in a deep-water intake, because the silt was my main problem in my Toronto Earthquake Scenario. Just so you don't worry, that's at the one in 10,000 probability, which isn't even on their radar.
We had been looking at this forever. The main problem was 'capping off the egg'. The reactors and all the steam generators are in concrete containment silos that have all the inside room of 'Das Boot'. So, you have to take the cap off the egg. We gave up on it because you could never reseal the darn thing, but now they can.
When I first started working at the old company, they were building PickB. I always talked to everybody, since I was such a fresh newbie. The Picks are on the worst soil in the world. Loose glacial crap with sand lenses, and everything but the kitchen soup. They were thumping in huge piles. I saw the pictures. They would hit down one pile and another one would pop up, so they whapped them all again and again.
This is all good for earthquakes, except for one thing. They were lower than Lake Ontariam. So, they had to pump like the dickens.
Both plants were then poured on steel frames over the dirt. Wonderful, but then I worked on Unit 7 towards the end, before they killed me 'by depression'. The giant electrical transformers were tilting. They obviously addressed this in the new work.
They drilled underneath, and found there was no dirt. Again, all fixed up in the plans. Only much later, as I was publishing the earthquake scenario did I realize what was happening. My 3 readers know about this, so that's all I'm saying.
I give this almost no chance of making the big money that we need for the country. Still, it is a good 'union 10%' thing that makes jobs at 10 time their worth. Fine Canadianism.

No comments:
Post a Comment