Thursday, August 27, 2026

The fun geology of the Lambton Power Plant

 


When I was looking for new nuclear plant sites, there were two main things:  stable water supply, and stable geology.  Bruce C and Lambton were immediately off the list, yet they are now top of the list.  Ignoring everything is not a new thing here.

They finally put Lake Erie off the list because it freezes solid.  Although the St. Clair River could get packed solid in the new ice age, it is not a main reason.

The Grenville Front, the largest Precambrian fault in Ontario continues through the river, which is, in fact, an outcrop.  When I started with the old company, it was common to comment on new sinkholes opening up at Lambton.  Somewhere nearby, they continue to leach out the rock for salt.

With the waster repository at Bruce, I was amazed how they could corrupt the geology just by narrowing the scope to nearly nothing.  They will do the same here.  Lots of fun.



Enjoy the party!


No comments: