Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Huge Strike-Slip Earthquake Between Cuba and Jamaica


Well, we'll hear about this in five minutes on the news.  M7.7 so it is about 200 km long and will daylight on Cuba.  This is the more active fault and we all expected this type of earthquake after Haiti.

It is such a big clean fault that we can moderately expect this to be foreshock for an M9.  But who knows?  I give it 1 in 10.

ps.   and there's the sucker as it hits the Southern Ontario seismometers.


I wish I had my accelerometers set up.  I'll hurry up for the M9, which we will feel here.  I said I gave it a 1 in 10, and the normal odds are 1 in 100.

pps.  in order for it to be a 'learning earthquake' we need modern structures nearby and accelerometers.  I doubt we have those.

pps.  this was a 'soft' or low-frequency earthquake.  A peak ground velocity of only a few cm/s.  No hypothesis is tested.

No comments: