Monday, August 26, 2019

Arctic ice minimum gives the best look at Arctic current

The current that is freezing the UK right now is showing best right now.


You can't measure the current under the ice, easily.  This is showing that the current is a result of freezing and thawing the Arctic ice.  You can see that there is a net flow out from the North Pole area.  The mechanism is unknown.  However, if I were trumply I would measure the flow and salinity, and see if it changes with the seasons.

This current gets stronger when the ice freezes, so my hypothesis would be that the current is strongly saline.  The summer flow might be just leftovers from the winter.  Who knows?  That's the joy of the Scientific Method, as opposed to Kipling-esque 'Just So' stories after the fact.

My 10 readers can have as much fun as me in reading the warmie headlines.  The UK is crowing about 'Hottest Bank Holiday Ever'.  Their '3 week heatwave' that would rescue summer is a 3 day heatwave, as I thought.


These are the Atlantic surface temps.  They are showing the strongest flow south I've ever seen at this time of year.  The current maps are also showing a strong flow to the south.


The warm, moist air is avoiding the Amazon right now, giving rise to those fires.  A small hurricane is starting just to the north of S. America.  Every fire, flood, one day heatwave is just grist for the warmie mill.

ps.  since I predicted two years ago that the UK will be New Labrador (hypothesis correct), I must list all the things I have been wrong about.  In warmieville, being wrong is death, but I follow the Scientific Method where being wrong is great.  Wrong about:  Natural gas prices.  I thought a cold winter and running out of storage would zoom the prices.  Toronto real estate -  always wrong about that.  It will crash, but timing is everything.  Oklahoma earthquakes -- goes with natgas prices. 


No comments: