Monday, September 6, 2021

Linux - refreshing an old net camera

 Years ago, I got this 'starlight' outdoor camera.  It's great with power over ethernet, and shows up the night really well.  Problem is that it only worked with an activex component that nobody wants to have anything to do with.  I got virtualbox, and an old free Windows 7 installation for it.

Worked great.  You use the old Inet explorer, and turn off all the firewall things.  Then you could set the time again.  So encouraged, I wanted to do something with the usb, but win 7 doesn't have the drivers, and you have to install them.  blah.  I went with the free win10 virtualbox appliance, and am trying that.

ps.  I got the usb on win10 working perfectly.  However, I was trying to root an old phone, and it didn't work.

pps.  Yahoo!  I finally got the screen to turn off with KDE.  In the 'startup' you make sure that kscreen2 is turned off.  It fights with the power management.  blah.


No comments: