Saturday, December 30, 2017

Linux - Google Wifi test

I got nothing but complaints over Christmas by the invasion of California millennials, over my crappy wifi.  They were constantly working on the kitchen table.  So, I bought a 3 pack of Google Wifi thingies, on sale for Boxing Week.

Using Wifi Speed Test on my old tablet, I got 100 mega bit per second on the main unit, and 50 around the house, using the mesh.  This is ten times the old speed.

You just run their Python program on your Linux server.  On the internal gigabit network, I get about 80 mega bytes per second, so only about 7 times faster.  Technically, I could now run the 4k tv on wifi, but I put in a direct cat6 cable, and even that chokes sometime.  It's best to convert everything to h265.

Also, everything is just one wifi network, one password.  It does take about 30 seconds to hand off signal around the house.

I am now ready for my fiber connection.  :)

No comments: