Monday, March 25, 2024

Gardening in the time of icicles

 We leave the hurly-burly of people shouting forecasts at us, and enjoy a pastoral scene.  Unfortunately, we have nothing but cold ahead of us, and my gardening is under the lights in my garage.  Today, I transferred some tomatoes out of the seeding flat to the containers with tiny spots for each plant, bought at the dollar store.

These 2 inch partitions assure that the root is confined, and that the plant will not go gangly even if I miss the planting day by a few weeks.  This year, I am fairly sure of a late planting day.

The Arctic has decided to drain and break up over Canada and the UK.  That's because the Pacific plumes are dead.  After January, we had a Mother of All Plumes hit us, and it was the last gasp of our year-long heating event.

We now live without heat.  I have renewed my micro-greens under the lights, and I think we'll be needing them for some time.  

From now on, I will not contradict nosa and nooa about the weather.  They are all about promising more warmth, and they don't even need charts to know that this is true.  They can't live with it any other way.  I am now going out to take in the plants for another freezing night, with lots of rain.

Here is the latest art for my upcoming visit to Yonkers, with the family and dog.  We have a bat mitzvah to go to.


You can see a black and white dog peeking around the corner.

ps. good news that the Arctic has not gone through the graph, and is tickling up a bit.



2 comments:

Neil T said...

It's back!!! El Niño lives... at least at the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-68666843

Harold Asmis said...

It lives until the body starts to stink.