Monday, December 29, 2008

Nuclear Plants Don't Detect Earthquake

Article

This was a very tiny earthquake, although it was felt. All nuclear plants are supposed to have some seismic detection capability, but nobody says it has to work! In fact, there have been much larger earthquakes beside nuclear plants, and they weren't detected either! You can safely say that 90% of these accelerometer systems don't work.

They are run by people who have no clue what they are for, or what they do, or how important they are. Probably, Diablo Canyon has the only working system in North America.

I was involved in doing this for the old company. I was so frustrated with the internal stupidity, that I finally put in 2 external seismometers now part of the Polaris Network. So, when there is an earthquake, we will have a ground motion recording.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Ranger isn't going to like this Yogi.
Ol' Jellystone is shimmyin'.

Harold Asmis said...

Yes, with every little thing, people claim the dead 'supervolcano' will come back to life.

Anonymous said...

Hi Harold
Peter here, still feeling the hydro lines resonate. I should find the nearest Trans Stn, and do some measurements with that accerlometer.
Have you ever heard/felt earth movement. I have 3 times. Once I was dreaming a large bird was on the house and shaking it, then I woke up and realized, then I woke up everyone else to witness the rare event. Cool!

Harold Asmis said...

Yeah, keep at it! You can write a paper!

I felt one earthquake, the day before my wedding! It was located in the Adirondacks.

Silver Fox said...

I've felt most of my earthquakes in Alaska, some in Nevada, and fewer in California. Never on the East Coast (or in Canada, either)! I used to remember them all (mainly pretty small), but now most of them blend together.

Harold Asmis said...

For me, everything blends together!