Saturday, March 26, 2022

The murky world of energy rebates

 It's amazing how often this comes up.  Nobody has looked at the basic physics, or forces driving this whole insanity.

Although I have everything up to date, my other person answered the phone.  No matter how much I scream that nothing good comes over the phone, she had a delightful conversation with a charming lady, scoring very high on the charisma scale.  My other was convinced that this was an official government thing, and that somebody from the government was going to visit us.  Man, what a fight we had.  I hope nobody goes through that.

As I had said, the visitor was an energy auditor.  We had a nice conversation, and I threw him out.  Like the phone lady, he dripped sincerity, and was only paid by the hour.  He was perfectly honest.

So, I looked at the whole thing after the charmers were gone from our lives.  Seems that in order to look good, the gas company has been providing these rebates for some time now.  The physics is that the rebates are too small to be of any use, and they have an onerous burden of needing an energy audit, before and after.

That energy audit takes up the whole rebate, so where's the money?  It's in selling new furnaces, and such, with a huge markup.  No reputable installer touches this.

It continues -- Nothing good comes over the phone.


No comments: