Monday, March 21, 2022

Linux - Hdhomerun on a Google wifi subnet

 Yeah, finally got it all working.  This is the simple hdhomrun connect 2.

First test the dang thing on the most plain vanilla network you can set up.  I got one unit that would not work with any antenna, the tuners were doa.  I sent that back to ammie.  Nothing is worse than getting these little devices on a Friday.  No support service at all.

I think they must be scrambling with the chip shortage.  I tried a tablo and it was crap, as well.

The second unit worked.  You can just use the http interface, and then copy the link for the channel.  Then put that into VLC.  Works!

I tried using the Kodi Linux addition on 'apt'.  It only works with a local network.

Then put it on the gwifi.  You just use the ethernet port, and then you check G Home for the ip address, and then put in a static lease, so the ip number is always the same.

You use ghome to 'port forward', ports 80 and 5004 




You have the ip number of the gwifi unit that is attached to your router.  I just connected mine to a simple port, and I fixed it.  Now you can just use Chrome to go to the ip and it will automatically forward to the hdhomerun.  

Then you see the simple web interface.  Do the channels and get the link for the channel, on 5004.  Put it on vlc streaming and change the ip number to the gateway.  Neat.  all works.

The automatic discovery will never work through the subnet.  I tried everything.

ps you do this because the tv is in the basement, and you hang the antenna upstairs.

No comments: