Thursday, December 27, 2018

Linux -- Unboxing the Tinkerboard S part 1

I'll write this live.  I got this for Christmas because the Raspi3 is now garbage.  It won't take the new Debian Stretch system.  That's because it was so cheap for a reason, and I can't fault the designers.  They used extra-weird, super-cheap, components that require 'binary blobs'.  It's okay if you have a super-genius to do these things, but eventually he has to go to a job with a dental plan. 

The tink has components that all have open source drivers.  This makes it 4 times more expensive, but at least it's supposed to work.  I'm going to find out.


This is the package.


It comes with a big adhesive heat sink.  The original tink was notorious for overheating, and it needed a small fan.  We'll see with the new model.  Usually it will just get hot when serving utube. 


It sort of fits in a r3 box, but I'll have to get the dremel out.  Mainly the heat sink and the gpio.

--to be continued.


No comments: