Saturday, December 22, 2018

Wave propagation for Christmas

For my Master's thesis I wrote a program with 2D wave propagation.  It was to study a method to detect fractures in rock.  Really, I want to put a bag on my head for that, but it got through.  Yeah!

I expanded it to study the effect of seismic waves on tunnels, and I got some great insights.  Eventually, I used a very expensive program (while at work) to study wave propagation on structures.  That's where I got my militant stance on the use of peak ground velocity (PGV) only.

Wow, 40 years ago and it has had no impact on the world whatsoever.  Nobody likes physics and so they go into lala land on everything. 

For Christmas I am reviving this for me.  Mainly because I have found that the humble gpu is a giant Cray vector processor (my dream when I was in University).  You can do this type of analysis with any computer.

I'm following this right now.

Since I have a horrible cold, I'll be slow.  It has a great demo on how waves propagate on a string.  Wow!


It is incredible.  Can't wait to code this.  Put the damping low to see how a fixed point reflects.  It's sad that earthquake engineers don't play with this stuff.


No comments: