Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Volcanic Seismic Signals

Here is a rather self-aggrandizing news release, from my old alma mater, the University of Toronto. Although there are no details, I am assuming this has something to do with a previous article of mine on pressure tests of blocks of rock. (I did something similar for my Masters Degree). I'm also very interesting that my subject of Rock Mechanics has flitted away from Civil Engineering, and has found a home under seismology. I know Paul Young and am interested in his new position.

So now the world is safer and we can locate cities up on the slopes of active volcanoes. The view must be fantastic!

6 comments:

McMoots said...

Eh? Your link goes to a story on the Hayward Fault.

Harold Asmis said...

Doh! Brain fart, all fixed.

Anonymous said...

I know Paul Young too. I did some work on the URL induced microseismics with him (amongst other things) when he was in the UK.

Harold Asmis said...

He did mining seismicity.

Anonymous said...

Yup. I worked on some of the mine-by induced seismicity experiment data conducted at the AECL underground lab. in Manitoba. Never got to go to Canada though, or to the Aspo underground lab. in Sweden that I also worked up some of the data on. Lucky me was posted to Sellafield in Cumbria, UK, in winter (that's another story for my blog someday).

We did, however, manage to link the seismicity with the rock mechanics.

Harold Asmis said...

Don't forget to be a Fishyology Follower!