Friday, October 17, 2008

October BSSA - Earthquake Velocity Pulse


Ok, I didn't understand at all what the rest of the article was trying to say, but I did like the title and the first page. I think pulses are magnificent! A velocity pulse is what I call the 'Fist of God' in a typical mountain valley thrust earthquake. You can also have them with strike-slip faults, but I don't think they are as powerful. I think pulses are greatly ignored when it comes to earthquake engineering. For example, these happy guys only consider the far-field 'rocking' or sinusoidal motions, when designing something as loony as base isolation. What happens when a pulse hits those suckers? Kapow!

A pulse is the only thing that will discombobble a nuclear plant, yet all their stupid 'seismic design' is devoted to sinusoids. Get real, people! Anyway, I like articles on these things -- the more the merrier!

No comments: