Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Getting your Wacom pen digitizer to work with Linux

I love my Wacom. In fact, thousands of people ask me how I make my lovely drawings (er, perhaps not), and I would tell them, if they ever asked, that it's my Wacom!

It does pressure, tilt, and all sorts of things I never use. My friend who teaches high school says that the version with a screen built in, is a great teaching tool. Wacom is also neat in that it works perfectly with Linux. Many companies are absolutely hostile to Linux and never work very well, or use binary drivers. With the Wacom, the drivers can be added to the kernel because they are open source.

Just follow the instructions on the Linux Wacom Project, and everything will work. My pictures are still ugly, but I have fun doing them!

No comments: