Saturday, October 10, 2020

Engineering disasters at the cottage

 The cottage is a great place to experiment and screw up, and experiment again.  It's like spacex.  I have an old cedar deck and a lot of the decking had to be replaced.  All's good with the structure.  For the remaining good pieces I decided to go with the homedepot deckyover.  (names changed for lawsuits).

It's a very thick paint that covers over all the deep surface cracks.  I followed all the instructions and after 2 years it all peeled off in nice long strips.  It had  tremendous strength with itself, but physics of the cottage beat it.

That's because of the horrendous ice and snow build-up that hits all horizontal surfaces.  The vertical surfaces do fine with the homeydep bair paint.  But there is tremendous water pressure that gets through and then freezes.  The paint has almost no adhesion.

So, I'm using that stuff to mix my own.  Once I peel off all the old paint, I make a watery mix with a big glob of Weldbond (properly spelled because that stuff is great).  The wood sucks it right up, and you can go a couple of coats before it stops doing that.  Then I put on thicker stuff with glue.

It's worked perfectly for one season (mild winter)  Now I am doing more.  

Another project is to fix up an old Mistral sailboard.  The mastbox is a horribly complicated thing, and you can't get a new rubber thing.


You can get old, cracked rubber things, so I followed a comment and put in a Chinook mastbox and matching swivel.  


This is fiberglass and epoxy.  I chose the easiest Magic Epoxy from ammie, and it is for table tops.  Problem is that it flows better than water, so I had trouble keeping it in place.  The stuff is great because it is water washable.  I wrapped the mastbox in fiberglass, and put a big weight on it to keep it down while the epoxy set .  I underestimated the tremendous capillary force and the darn thing floated up a bit.  Good thing I poured a very thin base.  I think it all works now.


You can see the deck floor there.

No comments: