Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Oklahoma starts new intense earthquake phase

Allow me to be right once in a while.  We had a few weeks of deep earthquakes, and I detected a deep mantle shift, making the New Madrid strain gauges (tiny earthquakes) sing.  Then I said we would see the earthquakes starting to rise again.  I don't rely on the seismometers to tell how deep an earthquakes is, the error bars are ridiculous.  Instead, I simply note the magnitude and the surface intensity.  Deep earthquakes don't do much on the surface.



Thus, today, we have a heck of a lot of activity.  Note the last two.  One is very deep, only giving an intensity 1, and the other is shallow, giving a 5 for the same mag.  I think the next few weeks will be mostly shallow, probably giving some good 4's or 5's.

Eventually, we will have a big surface strain event which will again ring New Madrid.  Then the earthquakes will go deep again to the mantle, since the mantle is tying up the strain.  How many times can we do this submarine act before the Big Whoops?  I don't know .

No comments: