Monday, August 24, 2009

Ice Age and Nuclear Waste

Article

What will get us first? - Global Gorming or The Ice Age? These guys are preparing for the ice age.

That reminds me of a story. Back in the day, when nuclear money was paying for good science, I studied the effect of ice ages on deep rock. I quickly discovered that the important thing was not the next ice age (like this study), but -- what had all the previous ice ages done to the rock? For I knew from mining experience, once the rock was shattered, it was just going to move along the existing planes of weakness, and not do anything different for the next ice age.

So the first thing I did was to conduct Einsteinian Thought Experiments. Back in those days I was brilliant, and untreated for depression. My mind would race at full speed 24 hours a day! Not healthy for the long term. But I digress.

I thought, what is the absolutely worse thing an ice age could do to deep rock. Sheer weight of the main sheet would do nothing, it would actually stabilize the rock, since we had high horizontal stresses, and higher vertical stress equalizes things. If these guys are just thinking vertical stress, then they are in the pay of the nuclear industry. (Wait a sec! They are!)

I'll stop there for now. I'm in a mood now where I think I'm wasting my life blogging into the ethersphere, and have got to look for volunteer work. Trouble is I hate most things most volunteers do, so I have to confine myself to teaching or some such thing. Certainly I don't have any chance of working again with the nuclear industry or earthquakes, since they are all dead. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they would send me the defective accelerometers...
Peter near Peterborough
still pickin up vibrations from lines

Harbles said...

Yo Mr. mous, may I call you Anony?

Give these folks;
Howe Gastmeier Chapnik Limited
(HGC Engineering)
2000 Argentia Road Plaza 1, Suite 203
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada L5N 1P7
a call and see how much they charge to come out and give you a certified readout of low frequency sound levels at your place.

Harold Asmis said...

Nah, he just has to pay for an extra pole to loosen the lines. Being ex-Hydro, he's too cheap! :)