Sunday, March 2, 2008

Memoirs of Drilling - 1

My next series gets me into the wonderful world of geotechnical drilling. Ah, the memories of noise, dust, smoke, gas, mud! Those wonderful drillers, who always looked like they just got out of prison! We would drill anywhere, and although I didn't go on a lot of remote drilling, I heard a lot of stories.

Now, if you want all the gory details of drilling, there is a wonderful 35 minute video available. (downloading is a bit of a bitch!) It put me to sleep, but it covers all the aspects of geotechnical drilling. I shall only cover the interesting bits, or whatever shakes out of my associative memory.

I shall let you chew on the video, while I reach down into my Harry Potter pensieve and extract some memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine one needs some input from this technology before selecting a location to take a core.

Harold Asmis said...

That's a good article. I've done a lot of that, and have some wild stories. This helps mostly for deeper work. Drilling is the best for site assessment.