Saturday, October 5, 2013

Oklahoma earthquake series

Oklahoma remains blessed.  After the M3.5, I thought we might get something bigger, but it has stayed at the 3 level.  We still aren't getting the micro-earthquakes, so I assume their seismic monitoring is still in the pits.


I had assumed that Ok city had the Grenville megathrust, which is the last of ones I know about, so I'm interested in how these new quakes are doing.  Although people constantly state that there are thousands of injection wells with no earthquakes, I am more interested in high-volume wells into the Precambrian.  Farther west we hit the Archean, and then the mountain disturbance.  I don't know the stresses there, but they are generally not compressive because of the heat flow supporting the mountains.

No comments: