Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Latest blow to copyright cartel

Record companies make their money by tying up young talent and selling albums for what the monopoly market can bear. I don't really listen to music like I used to with my vinyl records, and my stereo set, in the 70's. My kids just listen to the radio, or crap copies of songs on an mp3 player, with just one earphone in, while gabbing with the other ear. Music just isn't worth the old album prices anymore. Apple sells on itunes, but this is just a front to look legit. Apparently, they sell just a couple of tunes for every 1000-tune ipod sold, and their mp3 quality is the lowest.

If I wanted good classical music that I really listen to, then I go to Magnatune, and order a flac download. Who the heck has the time for this? I can't read my Economist while listening to good music; I'm a male with a single processor!

Now, some famous band, who had a shitty album last time, wants to cut out the monopoly. They're giving low-quality mp3's for a donation, and selling the good stuff to hard-core fans. The cartel should quake in its Gucchi boots! They should also add higher quality downloads (flac) to the 'donation' mix. I wish them the best of luck!

Not that I have ever downloaded anything, but "If I Did It", I would really want to give a risk-free donation to the group that produced a good movie, or music, so that I could get some more. I would want to pay editors who filter out the crap, and offer fast downloads (no DRM-spyware!). I would want quality music downloaded to the car. I would want movies that I could play on the big screen. All of this stuff is available 'theoretically' to hard-core geeks like me, but it is so much trouble! All my friends are stuck with Windows, spyware, false movies, etc, and I bleed for them....

No comments: