Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Communities get too bureaucratic for me


Communities (on g+) are blossoming and attracting every nut in the tree.  As such, they have to be rigidly compartmentalized, and insane people have to be booted out.  I agree with it totally, but I have booted myself out of many things when they went this way, including my old company and Wikipedia.  I guess I prefer the unrealistic model of an artists community, naturally protected by a moat with crocodiles.  :)  Although they would never invite me!

I started out with Usenet, and always used my exclusive technical knowledge to stay exclusive.  But the Internet cries out to include everybody and their dog.  I wish them luck.  I shall return to my blog and ignore the fact I never get any comments.  At least the referral spam loves me...

Update, something I put in g+

Creeping faults like to party

This is an article on fault mechanics, which I love with a passion.  It has been thought that a creeping segment is harmless because stress is continuously relieved.  But we don't  know the actual stress, and you can get dynamic friction if your kick it hard enough.  

http://phys.org/news/2013-01-japan-quake-alarm-fault-doctrine.html

No comments: