Sunday, April 3, 2011

Google and the social experiment

Now that they've cut off the Knol thing, I am wondering what Google will keep.  I just did their new thing with www.haroldasmis.ca  but I don't know what to do with it.  It appears to be a tightly controlled web site by Yola, and you fix it up with their tools.  I think Google does the storage, but I don't know what the limits are, and I don't know how this relates to Google Sites, since they are calling it the same thing.

But then I realized that Google has been a social network all along.  They make their money serving up sleazy "Rent a Girl" ads, but how did their search algorithm actually work?  It depended on the hard work of others who put up 'thoughtful' links.  G depended on the whole universe of blogs, web sites, and Wikipedia.  When I wrote an article, I carefully scanned everything and came up with a few good links, and G snatched those up.  Now that everybody wants to play the system, they rely on this content creation more and more.

I've concluded they have a very heavy weight on my stuff, and will want to keep Blogger and Sites up, at least.  When I could never see anything from my knols, I just put in a link, and poof! the next day it was at the top of a search.

G has a serious threat from 'walled gardens' such as Facebook.  If those people do all the hard work of vetting links, who can G sponge off of?  So, I think for a while, they will be putting billions into content creation that they  can scan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why fight with Facebook when you can have everyone running Android apps that record every bit of information you ever do on the device and store it on the G servers. Then add NFC technology to those devices so people can "conveniently" use them instead of credit cards to tap and pay.

Anyways, did you buy the haroldasmis.ca domain? How did you get it to be your google site?

Harold Asmis said...

It's free for a year!! And afterward they want to charge you $33 a year. Look up Google sites Canada. I still don't know what to do with it.