Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Garden Report 2018

As I predicted last year, we have a very cold June.  In Toronto, I was walking my dog this morning wearing my winter hat.  Cold nights at 10C make the soil very cold, and the tomatoes are suffering.

Not my tomatoes!  Having foreseen this (something to do with physics), I fixed up my old 'Quebec Winter Garage' with a clear roof, and made it into a semi-open greenhouse.  It's been very warm in there, and this has boosted the soil temperature immensely.  Wet soil is a great thermal mass, and keeps things warm at night, even with it fairly open.


Here are my happy tomatoes, with a lot of fruit.


The green peppers and cucumbers are doing great, as well.  But here are the 'standard' tomatoes of my neighbour, who used to always win the tomato prize.


Very sad.  The salad greens are doing well.  Not much slug or insect activity this year.



I keep them sprayed with my 'Fairly Organic' spray.

I'll take down the greenhouse in July, when we get warm nights for a month.  The apples and pears are good, but the cherries didn't set well.  Oh well, enjoy the new reality.


No comments: