Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Linux - using a VPN service

As you might know, some crazy people are going to the Supreme Court of Canada, so they can sue millions of Canadians.  I suspect the Court is going to whack them, since it has so many repercussions.

Although I never do anything, I decided to go to a vpn service for my legal downloads of Linux updates.  You never know when Hollywood producers decide to go crazy, and abuse women, and such things.

I went with IPVanish which had a lot of good reviews.  It's something like $60 USD a year.  I tried to arrange a full vpn for Linux, through Network Manager, but it screwed up the local dns.  Couldn't figure it out.  Luckily, my favourite legal bittorrent client, Deluge, has a proxy setup.  So, you can set up Socks5 with authorization, using their supplied info.  This works fantastically.  Super fast, and soon I hope to get fiber, if Bell doesn't charge the earth, when they light up our fiber being installed all over the neighbourhood.

So, next time, I am downloading something free and legal, even Mr. Bell won't know about it.  :)

ps.  Whoops!  Socks5 does not provide end to end encryption, so Mr. Bell could still do a deep packet inspection.  However, it does scramble things for bittorrent traffic and is good enough for downloads.  Extremely fast and doesn't muck up all your Internet traffic.

pps.  Deluge encrypts, so it's all good.

No comments: