Saturday, January 16, 2016

Part 3 of Suing and other disasters

When I got heavily into the scene 30 years ago, all the nuclear money had dried up.  I went to many conferences on eastern seismology, and it was sad.  They were still running their networks, but seismometers were popping off like light bulbs on a cheap marquee.  The nuclear people loved the emphasis on historic sites, because then they didn't have to think about earthquakes right under them.

Now, the current state is that all those people are dead (whatever).  I'm the only one left, and I'm nearly dead.  :)  You saw with the Virginia earthquake, they had to parachute busgus people in, who didn't know anything.  Nobody was there when Arkansas and Ohio lit up.  And poor OK only had Austin.

The nuclear industry could give lessons to the frackers on how to beat up scientists.  They are in a horrible state when it comes to seismicity.  But we won't dwell on that.  This is all about suing everybody and their dog.

A thank you note about the New Madrid monitoring.  I visited this place and was impressed what seismic monitoring could do.  It was beautiful and it gave me many ideas.  I'll always have fond memories.

The end.

ps. I'm talking about the States here.  Canada is in fine shape.

No comments: