Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Loud booms heard over Toronto

I heard 3 booms, and thought something was wrong with the house.  But my son in another house miles away heard the same booms.  No news about them.

Update:  This was heard all over Southern Ontario, yet not a speck of news.  Is everybody off for Christmas?

Update2:  My only hope is for the seismometers and infrasound detector, but I can't raise anybody.  Best guess is that Santa was running a little bit late.  :)

Update3:  I'm so frustrated in finding out anything.  You know, this will be the same for any emergency, including the current ice storm, and future earthquakes.  :(

Update4:  The news media is guessing frost quakes.  Fat chance!

8 comments:

Joshua Freeman said...

I heard the same thing in tottenham at 3:00am and my sister heard the same in newmarket

Harold Asmis said...

I've asked my seismic friends at uwo to look at it.

Anonymous said...

Both my wife and I were woken up by the loud boom at 2:37 am Dec 25 in Newmarket. I thought it was the roof crushing from the weight of ice.

I checked Twitter and there are many reports across Ontario of hearing the noise too.

I'm guessing it was a meteor or earthquake. The news stations have not reported anything yet.

Pamela Fragomeli said...

We heard it as well in Peterborough. My inlaws heard it in Whitby and we have been trying to find out what it was.

Harold Asmis said...

I find there is a generally patronizing attitude towards the public. "We have much more important things to do."

Anonymous said...

We heard it here in Baltimore, Ontario, near Cobourg. Shook the house, thought a tree crashed down, but nothing happened!

Anonymous said...

Hi Harold
I think it was after 2:30 am. I heard 2 at least. I thought large chunks of roof Ice had fallen on the porch roof, because I would not expect to hear so much noise if it landed on the drip line around the house. The next morning I saw no evidence of any fallen object,(ice or other). It didn't feel/sound earth-quakey to me. No infrasonic components. No physical movement. I have felt/experience 4 earthquakes in my life, so far.

Peter of the hummin H-One lines, near Peterboro

Harold Asmis said...

My feeling is that if they were ice quakes somebody somewhere would have felt vibrations.