Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Istanbul Next

Article

Their 3D model of the fault's seismic mechanics points to annual slippage of between 12.8 and 17.8 millimetres (0.5-0.7 inches) per year, or as much as 45 percent less than estimated before. In addition, the movement rates vary by 40 percent along the main fault.

As a result, builtup energy could be released along the segment in a progressive string of ruptures at stress points, as opposed to a massive quake that would tear the section open in one go.

No more original comments from me, not worth it. :( I shall be as mindless as all the other blogs.

5 comments:

wordfalling said...

Been a while since I've commented or clicked an ad on your blog and apologies for that, limited and/or slow internet access in rural Maine.

Yet I have to say that yours is the only blog I've subscribed to through google reader simply because you are not as mindless as all the other blogs, the "allgeo" via Chris takes care of the rest. Not to slag off the others but you are refreshingly honest and firm in your views.

So click ad, refresh, click ad, refresh, click ad, refresh, ad nauseum. Strangely there's one for a local CD shop here in Maine that's about as doomed as certain tunneling projects.

Harold Asmis said...

Yeah! I might think about turning the crank on the old mind..

wordfalling said...

Though I may be undergraduate scum, the spring semester brings renewed broadband access and more ad clicks until the middle of May when I am cut off again. Hopefully it will be enough for a bottle of wine or two.

Harold Asmis said...

Thanks, your 6 efforts at entering the world of sleazy advertising has netted me $1.55 which is more than the whole week of Haiti Hell! My hits are now up to 300 per day, which I think must be mainly Chinese botnets! :)

wordfalling said...

Woohoo, that's almost a quarter of a bottle of wine. *click*