Friday, May 15, 2009

Ontario Chooses AECL (but not yet)

Article

So, as I said earlier, from my deep throat source, the fix is in for Maple-icious AECL. I also said they wouldn't make the June 19 deadline, but here they are!

But wait! I said they couldn't come up with a Politically Perfect (PP) deal, so they would postpone. And now, although the vendor is chosen, they are working to make it PP. That would be done by sucking in Ottawa to cover the inevitable massive overruns.

And why are the overruns going to be massive? Because it's never been built! This follows Harold's Rule of New Engineering, which says you can get away with 10% new technology without doubling costs, but every percent above that has an exponential effect.

And as I have said in my previous explanation of the ACR-1000 technology, this whole reactor is Twilight Zone with regard to physics. If I was a cynic, I'd say it could never work, but you know I'm a sweetheart!

No comments: