Thursday, October 2, 2008

BSSA tip sheet

Looks like they're circulating advertising for the BSSA. I can't wait to get my copy, and I'll extract some nice things. My membership is due, and I should pay the money, but it would be easier if SOMEBODY CLICKED! Otherwise, I'm cut out of most scientific things, like conferences, and the pay wall (this journal is pay wall!)

The first article shows that all bets are off when looking at strong ground motions near the source, the variability is too great. There have recently been some very high ground motions recorded at the impact point of the FIST OF GOD!

The second article shows how piss-poor seismic monitoring is in the US. Completeness of M3.3? In California? God awful! Even at that magnitude the location accuracy is probably kilometres! As I have said, you need M1.0 and a location accuracy of around 1-2 klicks to show off the Harold Mechanism. Worse than that, you're arguing over nothing.

No comments: