Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fuji S9000 fixed

A great letdown in the blind belief of Japanese quality. Fuji had a major design flaw in the S9000 camera, which I hope is fixed now. My camera was either out of warranty, or I didn't want to bother (I always lose the papers!).

Seems a very tiny shaft is made out of cheap plastic, or the torque is too high for the material, so it shears off. This makes the 'command wheel' useless. I basically followed the instructions here.

As I got into, I was beginning to think that this was an elaborate internet joke. The shaft was so tiny, and the attachment nearly impossible. I got around my problems by filling the command wheel with hot glue, and potting the end of the shredded toothpick. Then I spent the next 20 minutes using a Dremel to slowly shape the hex shaft for the switch wheel. It works now, and I hope it holds!

Otherwise, it's a great camera and I have my water polo pictures over here.

No comments: