Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pot not easy to grow well

Amen to that! I'll tell a little fishing story about a, eh, friend of mine, who went down this journey. I'll just tell it in the first person, for style.

I was taking anti-depressants and wasn't allowed to drink alcohol. All on my own, I figured that if everybody was going to drink beer at the cottage, then I was going to have a little something, too!

It was an exciting time! I looked up everything on the Internet, on how to grow your own cannabis. In Canada, we have exemptions for medical purposes, and even though I wasn't actually dying, this was for medical purposes, just like an old lady's dose of gin!

I was working downtown at the time, so I found a nice hole-in-the-wall store that sold seeds for medical purposes, although they didn't ask. There was a bewildering choice of your normal Afghan brand, super Dutch brand, ultra-hybrid, etc. I went for something straight down the middle, since never having touched the stuff before, I had no clue.

Growing was a wonderful challenge, I had so many problems, and was always reading on the Internet. I ended up wiring my own lights. I even found out you have to grow a batch first, throw out the males, and grow cuttings from the females.

Finally, I had the most beautiful plants ever! Big juicy flowers, gobs of resin, totally looking like the pictures! I dried them, and they stunk up the house.. oh, well. I didn't want to smoke them, since I don't smoke, so I found a way to heat up the flower heads in olive oil, and pack it in gel capsules.

It tasted nice, but I didn't know what I had. Was it super powerful, or nothing? Every time I had a drop of it, I just fell asleep. Would I survive a whole capsule? Finally, once at the cottage, I had a capsule, and found myself 'Beatle Dreaming', with nice funny patterns, for 10 minutes, before I fell asleep.

After that, I developed migraines every time I touched the stuff, and had to throw it all out. The doctor was happy, since this stuff is as bad to mix with the anti-depressants, as alcohol. So I went back to drinking beer at the cottage, and some red wine, once in a while.... Medicinal!

No comments: