Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Retirement Parties

I was just at the closing session for the Ontario Polaris Project, or Polo for short. You can read the write-up yourself. For more than 20 years I have pushed for more research in Southern Ontario, and I got it. The posters and sessions gave a lot to chew on when geofishing. For example, there is more evidence that soft soil on rock has an amplification of 50 to 100 times, in terms of total energy and Peak Ground Velocity (PGV). This lines up with the earthquake stories I have collected over the years.

I even love the 'esoteric' stuff, such as whether the core has an 'icing' of high velocity material. The search for it is amazing! As well, there is a lot of work for microzonation for our cities. Montreal is funding some work, but in Ontario, they don't do anything special for earthquakes.

No comments: